*Partnering with Castello for a Summer of Blue*
Blue cheese can be quite intimidating. It is tinged with mold, after all. And the smell is a taste to be acquired. But this beautiful blue-green veined cheese, spotted with appealing color, has a wonderful tangy character, balanced by delicious sweet and salty flavors that are perfect sandwich between a grilled burger brimming with crunchy vegetables. If you are taken aback by blue cheese, definitely try is first in a meaty, juicy burger, like I did with a thick slice of mild, pleasantly sharp and sweet Castello Noble Blue.
I particularly love the marbling that blue cheese gives this sky high burger with chipotle mayo. It adds a bit of elegance to an otherwise cotidein food. If you’re looking to get extra fancy, pair this blue cheese decked burger with a semi-sweet or sweet wine like Cavernet, Zinfandel, Chardonnay or Sauvigon Blanc to complement the cheese’s salty taste.
Monster Blue Cheese Burger with Chipotle Mayo
For the blue cheese burger:
- 2 pounds grass fed beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp adobo powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Toppings (sliced tomato, mesclun greens, red onion, etc.)
- Sesame seed or brioche bun
For the mayonnaise:
- 3/4 cup organic mayonnaise
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 lime, juice (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Blue Cheese Burger:
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, egg, Worcestershire sauce, adobo powder cayenne pepper, and garlic using your hands. Form the mixture into 8 hamburger patties.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done.
- Serve with bleu cheese, mesclun greens, tomatoes, red onions, pickles and chipotle mayo on a sesame seed bun.
Add all the ingredients to a food processor and puree. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.